Thursday, March 24, 2011

Exhibit Response


The other day my drawing class went down to an exhibit in Tyler. It was one artist and she filled up all 3 rooms. One with photography and small sculptures the other had nothing other than a table with a tub in it and a ying-yang flag on the wall the third room was a projection on the wall of a man speaking a man and woman kissing and dancing.           
When I first walked into the exhibit I was really intrigued by the things laying on the floor, probably because they were the first things I saw. I was most attracted to the room with the tub and the ying-yang flag. I like the pieces that are not as obvious as to what they are. I walked through the exhibit several times before I made a connection to anything. There were a lot of minor repetitions throughout the whole exhibit. Like in one photograph of marble and the marble tiles on the table. The ashtray and the ash that sat on top of a row of cylinder blocks. The majority of the work was black and white and a lot of it was very industrial made with cinder blocks and poles. Between the cinder blocks, marble, and steel poles you can see a lot of the material is very concrete and hard. There was a hand in a position suggesting it was holding something small. Then there was an ashtray right next to it.
I would really like to hear an explanation of the whole exhibit but I think it is saying something about relationships and breakups, potentially homosexual ones. I am saying this because when you first walk in there is a row of objects starting with a frame, which could represent a memory. The other hints are the images of 2 women and the video. Also, the reference to smoking, which is often associated with stress, could suggest something is happening in the artist’s life. What really confirmed it all is on the wall in the first room are the symbols “I,” a heart, “U,” and, “4E”. = I love you forever.. The “I” and “U” were lying on the floor and the rest were sitting against the wall. This could represent some type of falling or imperfection.
All together the exhibit was very interesting and made, I think, the whole class think.

No comments:

Post a Comment