Sunday, March 27, 2011

Aunrico Gatson

The other at day Tyler Aunrico Gatson gave a lecture on his own art which was mainly video and sculpture with a little bit of painting. His videos were the most interesting part. In his videos, in general actually, his art is made from scenes in history. There is a lot of art inspired by the civil rights movement. His videos reminded me of a kaleidoscope and its movement was made up of video clips from different movements and protests. The soundtrack that went along with the videos made me think of the gallery that we saw in tyler just a week before. I did a little more research on Gatson and saw some new art he did not show us and those, too, had a lot to do with civil and rights more specifically with black history and civil rights.
I feel like I was just introduced to a new world of exhibits because twice in a week I saw two people use video projections as a piece of sculpture. This is not really anything I could see myself getting into but it is an interesting way to set a mood in an exhibit using sound and video. The way people interpret art with audio in the background is completely different then if the viewer was not influenced by any sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment